An important component to proper hybrid vehicle functioning is the battery. Many hybrid owners enjoy a longer battery life than non-hybrid drivers. However, their batteries are often more expensive when they need to be replaced.
The intricate, sophisticated nature of hybrid battery packs mean replacements are best done by a professional. So how can hybrid vehicle owners tell when they’re in need of a new battery? The common signs it’s time to change your hybrid battery are:
- Decreased MPG. A steady decrease in MPG with no other reason typically points to issues with your battery. Fully electric vehicles have been reported to lose 10% efficiency per year due to the lack of internal combustion engines with their hybrid counterparts seeing less of an annual decrease in efficiency. Drivers with older hybrid batteries should be especially conscious of decreased MPG.
- Higher Internal Combustion Engine Use. Another warning sign it’s time to change your hybrid battery is from the internal combustion engine. When the ICE begins kicking in more and running for longer than usual, the hybrid battery is likely failing.
- Battery Bars Dropping. If you have begun noticing a drop in your battery bars with minimal usage, get your battery checked. An example would be parking the vehicle with full battery bars and coming back to it later with only one or two bars remaining.
- State of Charge. Unusually large fluctuations in the state of charge is a sign the battery or charging system is experiencing issues. Charge rate can also be a cause for concern, especially if you notice substantial changes.
- Strange Engine Noises. Noticing a new whining noise from your hybrid vehicle? If the noise occurs during deceleration or braking, it could be another sign it’s time for a new battery. Due to the internal combustion engine compensating for lost hybrid efficiency, you may hear it kick on more resulting in odd noises from the vehicle.
If you are experiencing one or more of these symptoms, consider scheduling a state of health check for your hybrid vehicle. The Hybrid Geek is a full-service hybrid vehicle maintenance company.
With experienced, friendly technicians, we’ve built a reputation to be proud of. One of our most popular and beneficial services is the Mobile Hybrid Battery Delivery and Installation Service. It saves drivers from paying a costly core deposit or sending back their old battery and waiting for a deposit refund.
We have expanded our service area to include over 10 states along the east coast. Our warranties and pricing are competitive and our service is always top-notch. To find out more about a mobile hybrid battery delivery, get in touch with us today!